Low carb green salad with dried pear and bacon
Are you looking for a healthy lunch idea?
Try this low carb green salad which is ready in minutes. This diabetes friendly recipe can be easily modified and become a great vegetarian option. On the go or at home, this is perfect to prepare and eat anywhere.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 125 g reduced salt back shoulder bacon (4.5oz or 1/2 package
- 120 g mixed greens, including fresh herbs (4 c or 1 package)
- 8 dried pear halves (100 g or 3.5 oz)
- 30 ml lemon juice (2 T) and 5 ml lemon rind (1 T) from one small half medium lemon
- 1 clove garlic, pealed and crushed or 5 ml (1 T) or 2.5 ml (1/2 t) garlic powder
- 30 ml balsamic vinegar
- 5 ml sugar (1 t)
- 5 ml olive oil (1 t)
- 45 ml boiling water (3 T)
How to make it:
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Remove any visible fat from the bacon. Slice the bacon thinly and fry on high heat, stirring continuously until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the mixed greens between four plates, arrange on a large serving platter, or place in a salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with the cooled, crisp bacon
- Cut the dried pears into strips and sprinkle over the lettuce leaves
- Make the dressing by combining the lemon juice, lemon rind and garlic in a glass bowl or measuring cup
- Add the vinegar, sugar, both oils and warm water. Mix
- Set aside to allow the flavors to blend. You should have about 120 ml (1/2 cup) of dressing.
- Just before serving, drizzle 30 ml (2 T) dressing over each salad.
The sweet and savoury taste of the dried pear with the bacon gives an interesting and delicious flavour to this salad. Adding a splash of citrus dressing gives you a wonderful flavour burst. The options for this quick and easy dish are endless and enjoyed at any time of the year.
Nutritional values per slice:
- Calories 166 kcal
- Protein 9 g
- Fat 5 g
- Carbohydrates 20 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Cholesterol 30 mg
- Sodium 983 mg
The views expressed in the Accu-Chek blog are not necessarily those of Roche Diabetes Care Limited or our publishers. The content is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely - you must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content. Although we make reasonable efforts to ensure that the content is up to date, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content is accurate, complete or up-to-date.