Homemade hearty porridge recipe
Looking for a new breakfast idea? This satisfying porridge is great at home or for a breakfast on the go. The recipe is portioned out for a single serving but can easily be multiplied for a quick and easy breakfast menu throughout the week! Although it may sound strange, the egg is the secret ingredient in this recipe - adding an egg to your oats will pack it with protein and create a creamy consistency.
Per serving: • energy 333 kcal • protein 13g • fat 15g • carbohydrate 41g • fibre 8g • sodium 226mg
- 1/4 cup (59ml) oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) blueberries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) strawberries
- 1/4 apple
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) almound butter
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) cinnamon
- pinch of salt
You could swap out the blueberries and/or strawberries for bananas or another fruit of your choice. Please note that any changes to the recipe may alter the stated nutritional values.
How to make it:
- Add the water and oats to a pan and boil until the oats reach a thick consistency (5 min).
- While the oats are cooking, cut the apple into bite sized pieces, then do the same with the strawberries.
- After the oats have absorbed most of the water, crack the egg into the pan and add a pinch of salt. Make sure you constantly stir your oats once the egg has been added - allowing it to sit will turn it into scrambled egg.
- Once the egg is fully incorporated, pour the cooked porridge into a bowl.
- Add the apple bites, strawberries, and blueberries, and top with almond butter and a dusting of cinnamon to your preference.
The views expressed in the Accu-Chek blog are not necessarily those of Roche Diabetes Care Limited. The content is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely - you must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content. Although we make reasonable efforts to ensure that the content is up to date, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether expressed or implied, that the content is accurate, complete or up-to-date.