Homemade Diabetes Friendly Hummus Recipe
Hummus is super easy dish and can be made ahead of time for any event and served throughout the week making it the must have fridge filler!
Ingredients (2 services)
- 1 15 oz (425 g) can of chickpeas
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp (3.6 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) tahini
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground pepper
- 1 large lemon juiced
How to make it:
- Rinse chickpeas in cold water and let strain.
- Combine tehini, fresh lemon juice and garlic in a food processor. Blend until smooth (about 30 seconds)
- Add and blend the rest of your ingredients. If the hummus isn't smooth enough add ice water (approx, one tbsp at a time) until it reaches desired consistency.
- Once smooth, transfer to a bowl and add pepper.
- Serve with carrots, cucumber or a veggie of your choice.
Notes: Hummus is super easy dish and can be made ahead of time for any event and served throughout the week making it the must have fridge filler! When purchasing Chickpeas check the ingredients – make sure to go for the low sugar option if possible and that there aren't lots of added ingredients. The can should just contain chickpeas, water, and salt. This healthy snack recipe is great for people living with diabetes as it is easy to move around with you and goes perfectly with a number of chopped veg such as carrots, cucumber, peppers or celery.
Optional: For a fun variation, add roasted red peppers or other spices to the hummus and blend thoroughly to mix things up. Please note that any amendments to the recipe may impact the stated nutritional values.
Nutritional values per serving:
- Calories 172 kcal
- Protein 7.3 g
- Fat 6.9 g
- Carbohydrates 22 g
- Fibre 6 g
- Sodium 161 mg