Homemade hummus recipe
Hummus is a super easy dish that makes a great snack or meal accompaniment. It can be made ahead of time for any event and served throughout the week, making it a must-have fridge filler!
Per serving: • energy 172 kcal • protein 7.3g • fat 10.2g • carbohydrate 22g • fibre 6g • sodium 161mg
- 1 425 g (15 oz) can of chickpeas
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp (3.6 ml) salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) tahini
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground pepper
- 1 large lemon, juiced
How to make it:
- Drain the chickpeas, rinse in cold water and let them strain.
- Combine the tahini, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor. Blend until smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Add the rest of your ingredients and blend. If the hummus isn't smooth enough, add ice water (approx one tbsp at a time) until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Once smooth, transfer to a bowl and add pepper.
- Serve with carrots, cucumber, celery, or a veggie of your choice.
When purchasing chickpeas check the ingredients – make sure to go for the low sugar option if possible and that there aren't lots of added ingredients. The can should just contain chickpeas, water, and salt.
This healthy snack recipe is convenient as you can easily take it with you when you are on the go, and it goes perfectly with a variety of chopped veg such as carrots, cucumber, peppers or celery.
For a fun variation, add roasted red peppers or other spices to the hummus and blend thoroughly to mix things up. Please note that any amendments to the recipe may impact the stated nutritional values.
* The nutritional values for each recipe are estimates only and may vary depending on brand of ingredients used and natural biological variations in the composition of natural foods.
The views expressed in the Accu-Chek blog are not necessarily those of Roche Diabetes Care Limited. The content is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely – you must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content. Although we make reasonable efforts to ensure that the content is up to date, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether expressed or implied, that the content is accurate, complete or up-to-date.