Smoked Salmon Salad
Even as we move into the colder winter months, there is always room for a fresh salad.
This smoked salmon salad recipe is great all year round, with fresh leaves and a mix of strong flavours from the feta cheese and salmon, this dish will never get boring.
Ingredients (2 services)
- 2 cups (500 ml) spring mix greens
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Avocado
- 4 oz. (112 g) Smoked Salmon
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) Feta Cheese to taste
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Extra Virgin Oil
- 1/4 Cup (59 ml) Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 Red onion
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
Salad dressing ingredients:
- 1 Clove Minced Garlic
- >1/4 Cup (59 ml) Red Wine Vinegar
- >1/4 Cup (59 ml) Olive Oil
- >1 tsp (5 ml) Honey
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon Mustard
How to make it:
- Peel and cut cucumbers into thin rounds.
- Cut onions into long slices. (if you like onions, keep the slices larger but if you are not so keen, dice them into small pieces.)
- Cut tomatoes into small diced pieces.
- Add to a large bowl with oregano, rice vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper mix and set aside.
- In a dressing shaker or small bowl, combine minced garlic, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Shake or stir until combined (add yogurt if desired.)
- In another bowl, add your greens and slice or cube your avocado on top. After your tomatoes and cucumbers have marinated in the rice vinegar for a few minutes, add them to the top of your salad alongside a few slices of smoked salmon. Top with feta cheese and enjoy!.
Notes: This salad is meant to be eaten throughout the week. To preserve freshness, keep the tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions in one bowl and the lettuce and feta in another bowl. This will allow your tomatoes and cucumbers to marinate throughout the week and will keep your lettuce from wilting. Be sure to wait to add your dressing until you are ready to eat your salad. This will also maintain freshness.
Optional: swap salmon with chicken if desired. (Add ½ cup (125 mL) of plain Greek yogurt or plain cashew yogurt for a creamier taste) but please remember and ingredients swapping may alter the stated nutritional values
Nutritional values per serving:
- Calories 324 kcal
- Protein 9 g
- >Fat 26 g
- Carbohydrates 15 g
- Fibre 6 g
- Sodium 130 mg